Thursday, 17 October 2013

Centro de Lima.

Before I continue with all of the posts I have ready from my trip to Arequipa and Chile, I thought I'd do a quick little post about the Centro de Lima (the historical centre of Lima), as I haven't already! 

Downtown Lima is one of the only places in all of Peru where you can see impressive colonial architecture (from the era when the Spanish still had control of the country). Unfortunately, not one of the the buildings standing today are original- due to the many earthquakes since the 1500s, the Chilean invasion in the 1800s, and the various refurbishments, most are just facades of what they once were. 

Must-sees are Plaza San Martin, where the liberator is commemorated with a huge statue of him atop his steed; a stroll along the Jirón de la Unión, the passage linking Plaza San Martin with the Plaza de Armas, where dainty colonial balconies stick out over the street, and houses are painted a number of bright colours; and the Plaza de Armas, which is surrounded by the Presidential Palace (which features a daily changing of the guard at noon), the main cathedral and town hall, as well as the archbishop's residence. 

The last two photos are from the Mirador de San Cristóbal, a lookout perched on top of a hill, where, on a sunny summer's day, you can see the entirety of Lima. Unfortunately, I went up in June, so the characteristic Lima fog obscured the few a little, though I plan to return in summer to get some proper snaps! And there you have it- downtown Lima in a nutshell.


















No comments:

Post a Comment