Wednesday, 11 December 2013

MACHU PICCHU.

MACHU PICCHU, MARAVILLA DEL MUNDO

Well, where to start? Even to this day, I still can't believe I've been to Machu Picchu. There's something about the place, a feeling you can't describe unless you've actually been there yourself. I was pinching myself all day, expecting to wake up from a dream. To think that I was standing among the ruins that was one the most sacred part of the Incan empire, a place where only the religious elite and royalty could visit, left me speechless (which, as most of you know, never happens to a loudmouth like me).


We started the day early, at 5am to be exact, and caught the first bus from Aguas Calientes to the top. The lack of sleep didn't phase me though, I was so pumped up on nervous energy that I barely noticed that the sun wasn't up yet. We came up over the hill and... There it was, just as you see it on tour posters and paintings, all shrouded in mist. The mist gave it a rather eerie feeling, as if you were up among the clouds, with the Incan gods. 

Getting there early turned out to be fantastic, as there were fewer tourists, this making photo opportunities all the more easier. We did a quick guided tour, and then thankfully were left to roam free for the whole day. 

What I don't think you realise until you get there is that the complex is HUGE- it's an entire city. There is no shortage of things to see or do- hiking up the incredibly steep Huayna Picchu (though you have to book months in advance and be incredibly fit and agile to do the climb), trekking up to the Puerta del Sol (Sungate) and sitting among 500 year-old Incan ruins with a spectacular view of the jungle valley below and Machu Picchu itself, climbing across Puente Inca (Incan Bridge), or simply sitting on one of the many Incan terraces for hours and sinking in the whole thing.

I spent most of the day just sitting and looking over the ruins, either from Puerta del Sol or from the terraces - the sheer beauty and ingenuity of the place was unbelievable. I really can't say any more- just go there and you'll feel what I'm trying to describe! 























Next stop - Puno and Lake Titicaca, the highest navigable lake in the world!

Photos by Tami Piovesan, Henry Malaga and me.

No comments:

Post a Comment